Having a two displays with driver "intel" (e.g. :0.0 and :0.1)

Steven J Newbury steve at snewbury.org.uk
Sun Sep 28 20:22:15 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 12:31 -0700, Romain Chossart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there was a possibility to use "intel" drivers
> (not i810) with *two displays* (e.g. :0.0 and :0.1) but only *one X
> server*.
Your terminology isn't quite correct, what you're calling displays, are
actually "screens".  When supported a driver controlling multiple
outputs from a single display adaptor it's called "Zaphod mode". (After
Zaphod Beeblebrox - the guy from "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" with
two heads!)

> I could do it with i810 drivers, but then I switched to the "intel"
> one, which is better in many ways, but not for my dual screen purpose
> !
> I'm currently using a xrandr-like conf, but it has many issues, like :
> - No possibility to put 2 different isntances of window managers
This is possible with multiple screens and multiple displays.  Some
window managers, however, support multiple screens by default, so a
single window manager instance will control both screens.  On the other
hand, each display must have it's own window manager.

> - Maximizing takes whole "virtual" screen
As replied separately, this is due to your window manager either lacking
or not being complied with "Xinerama" support.

> - Mouse can be in "emptyness" part of the screen (because i have 2
> different monitor resolutions)
I don't know about this; it hasn't been my experience in the past
though.

> I am really getting mad about this, because I spent days (*really*)
> seeking a configuration like that.
Unfortunately the current intel driver doesn't support Zaphod mode.