Building X

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Tue Sep 23 22:50:50 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:40:19AM -0400, James Cloos wrote:

> Adam> You say this as though "taste" wasn't a good reason.
>
> Not everyone agrees, though, that the traditional pattern and cursor on
> startup is less tasteful than your preference.
>
> There is a reason that, when the black root was first added to XFree86,
> it was quickly reversed and redone as the -br and -wr options.

Taste aside, I have at least one VGA flat panel that fails to center the
image if I start X with -br (and disable the NVIDIA logo), where starting
with -wr or the root weave works fine.

Of course, I'm not arguing that the root weave is anything close to the
right way to solve that particular problem...

-- Aaron