Poll: Should Xorg change from using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to something harder for users to press by accident?

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 20:49:35 PDT 2008

Igor Mozolevsky <igor <at> hybrid-lab.co.uk> wrote:

> Unfortunately, there's no cure for human
> stupidity

There's no cure, but there are workarounds.

> Doesn't CTRL+ALT+DELETE reboot the machine unconditionally?

Not usually.  It used to reboot unconditionally way back.  But, fifteen years
ago, when Windows 3.1 came out[1], Microsoft changed things so that Windows
users must press it twice to reboot.  I suspect they did so to make it harder to
lose data by accident.

In Linux, Ctrl-Alt-Del reboots unconditionally only in console mode.  Only
expert users use console mode.  When X is running, on all my Linux machines,
Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up a "shutdown-or-reboot?" dialog instead.  The vast
majority of Linux users run X.

^ [1].  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Alt-Delete ; full disclosure: the
Control-Alt-Delete detection feature required a 386 computer to work.