events in evdev.c

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Sat Sep 20 07:59:33 PDT 2008

Chuck Robey wrote:

> I'm really rather curious where you got the idea that FreeBSD had something that
> looked even vaguely like the Linux events.  I know that if you look at the
> FreeBSD man page EVENTHANDLER(9) you can see an event interface, but that one is
> intra-kernel, not exported to applications like the Linux one is.  Using the
> event interface, like evdev does, takes away the portability.
>
> If I could find a FreeBSD applications-event interface ala Linux, I would be
> overjoyed, and immediately use it.

NetBSD and OpenBSD share (at least try to) the wscons console driver
which has a notion of event which is not too far away from evdev. It
should be possible to write a more OS neutral event based input driver
which could cover all of Solaris, Linux and wscons events.

I must admit that I don't know too much about the current state of the
FreeBSD console driver though.

--
Matthieu Herrb