Building X

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Sep 19 23:42:21 PDT 2008

Am 19.09.08, 17:34 -0700 schrieb Yan Seiner:
> Keith Packard wrote:
> >

> > Yes, I'm cool with the black root background; nicer looking, conforming
> > to the spec and everything.
> >
> As a X user and occasional embedded programmer, might I suggest
> something with a pattern?  Even if it's a X logo in the center, or just
> a shapeless blob, or a row and column of white pixels. Anything that is
> recognizable as the X root window.

Same here, something typical for a non window managed X would keep things
transparent. Black is the colour of non working or failed hardware.

Well, as it is, it appears quite clear. I see the black/white pattern
only in few cases, e.g. when using plain xinit. It was, so far, a good
indication that a window manager is missed. But thats probably a matter of
taste like for instance the log messages during the boot process being
hidden by a "nice" distro screen.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--