LVDS not detected by nv driver for Lenovo T61p (nvidia Quadro FX 570M)

Rainer Dorsch rdorsch at web.de
Mon Sep 15 03:36:20 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am running Debian lenny on a T61p and use the nv driver on

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro FX 570M (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device 20d9
        Memory at d2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
        I/O ports at 2000 [size=128]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nvidia

(the main reason for using the open source driver is that I have trouble with
the nvidia drivers to get beamers working in particular not at the same
resolution as the internal laptop display, in addition the nvidia drivers
limit me to the nvidia provided GUI).

When I boot the T61p on a port replicator with an external screen attached, I
get

	(II) NV(0): LVDS native size 738x414

vs

	(II) NV(0): LVDS native size 1920x1200

when I boot the laptop standalone.

Thus switching to the laptop screen does not work when I booted with an
external display attached.

For reference the detailed log and configuration files:

When booting with a tft attached:
-> xrandr output: http://bokomoko.de/~rd/xrandr/tft/xrandr.log
-> log output: http://bokomoko.de/~rd/xrandr/tft/Xorg.0.log

When booting without tft attached:
-> xrandr output before attaching to external monitor
http://bokomoko.de/~rd/xrandr/lvds/xrandr.lvds.log

-> xrandr output after attaching to an external monitor:
http://bokomoko.de/~rd/xrandr/lvds/xrandr.lvds+tft.log

-> log output: http://bokomoko.de/~rd/xrandr/lvds/Xorg.0.log

Does anybody see if I am doing something wrong?

If not, is this a bug, where should it be reported (against which package)?

Is there a workaround?

Thanks,
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch
Lärchenstr. 6
jabber: rdorsch at jabber.org
GPG Fingerprint: 5966 C54C 2B3C 42CC 1F4F  8F59 E3A8 C538 7519 141E
Full GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu/