DRI2 Protocol Spec Draft

Srecko Morovic smorovic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 15:27:30 PDT 2008

Adam Jackson <ajax <at> nwnk.net> writes:

> While true, there is exactly zero API in either of GL or Xv for
> specifying which CRTC to sync to if there's a choice.  Adding this to
> DRI2 before having any way for a real rendering layer to consume it
> seems like gratuitous overdesign.

Btw. maybe this is a job for window manager - right click menu and you sync a
window to whichever output you want (even if app doesn't have this control
implemented).

> Besides, at that point we should just implement software genlock.  That
> way it wouldn't matter which CRTC you picked as long as they both had
> the same refresh rate, since we'd PLL them together eventually.

Or you soft-genlock to an external source (useful if you want to watch
streamed/TV content tear free).

Btw. there is a "sync-fields" patch posted here a few days ago which soft-syncs
radeon PLL with xine (i.e. DVB stream). It seems to be hackish though.