DRI2 Protocol Spec Draft

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Sep 11 10:16:39 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 18:18 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 11:59 -0400, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> > We can then add the CRTC to sync to as an argument
> > later if we find a case where the client really can make a better
> > decision than the server.
>
> I can think of such an imaginary case: imagine an NLE (video editor)
> which only cares about a small portion of its window where the film is
> actually previewed. Then it would want to sync to the monitor displaying
> this region.

While true, there is exactly zero API in either of GL or Xv for
specifying which CRTC to sync to if there's a choice.  Adding this to
DRI2 before having any way for a real rendering layer to consume it
seems like gratuitous overdesign.

Besides, at that point we should just implement software genlock.  That
way it wouldn't matter which CRTC you picked as long as they both had
the same refresh rate, since we'd PLL them together eventually.

- ajax