it's working

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Fri Sep 5 04:06:29 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 11:31:18PM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> If they're actual keys, you can use xf86PostKeyEvent.  If not ... just
> ignore it for now.  We need to be able to map given areas of particular
> devices' co-ord space to given areas of CRTCs, AFAICT.  Being able to
> grab particular (obviously non-overlapping) areas would probably be
> quite useful for shortcuts, etc, but this may be overkill: maybe we
> just want key events, rather than Button/Motion events on shortcut
> areas.

I daresay that just having a way to tell the device which areas are sensitive
is enough. To the server, soft buttons should not look different than a
physical button on the device and it's the driver's job to ensure that.

So tell the driver where the soft buttons are (i.e. property), and then the
driver then emits key events instead of motion/button events on this area.

Cheers,
  Peter