Multi{pointer,touch} & Userspace

Nicholas King ze at zerandconsulting.com
Fri Oct 31 02:15:02 PDT 2008

Jim Gettys wrote:
> I've also been wondering about the relative merit its of an ad-hoc wire
> format (such as you've defined) for events versus something like XML,
> where parsers and extensibility is known.  But it's time for me to
> perform some experiments to understand the performance trade-offs,
> rather than hand-waving; your existing code trumps my unproven
> hypothesis, so I better write some code.

Isn't this where the binary XML format is supposed to shine?
It seems to me that the binary XML format is often neglected and people
just think of the textual format.
Binary XML was supposed to offer the advantage of not needing to create
a new parser for each new format whilst still retaining a nice and
compact format for the wire.

It seems to me that it's a smart approach in principle that leaves the
possibilty of easily created clients and sniffers.

Cheers,
          Nicholas King