xorg fails to start when using correct busids in device sections, logs included

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Wed Oct 22 08:17:49 PDT 2008

Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> Jelle de Jong escreveu:
>> Does this mean the only way to get an multi-card system working with
>> newer software is with either the old pci vga only cards or with NON
>> randr 1.2 compliant drivers like the close source nvidia drivers. I have
>> a test system here with four radeonhd based devices and I can only get
>> the first device to work all other devices do not work!
>
> No. Now, if your Xorg is >= 7.4 then you won't get a multi-card system.
> Even with an "old pci vga only" card, it will not work.
>
> Randr 1.2 compliant drivers will help when you have a single-card with
> multiple outputs (and yes, I know that a bunch of nvidia cards are
> working with the open source nouveau driver).

I just bought a bunch of nvidia pcie cards, installed the nvidia kernel
crap, setup my xorg file and everything worked out of the box. But this
was not my goal, I wanted an complete free software based multi seat
system working with packages out of main repository. But it seems an
regression in design and some bugs make multi gpu setups very
troublesome. I have posted logs and configurations on the radeonhd
mailing list with my issues. But some developers have stated multi gpu
is not an priority...

>> btw. I did try the mdm0.0.3-livecd.iso but it does not work on my system
>> it keeps trowing messages that the user is not authoritative or
>> something like that.
>
> Please, post the full log here.

I will see if i can make some manual log.

> Cheers,

Best regards,

Jelle