Embedded X

Kamalneet Singh kamalneet.s at samsung.com
Wed Oct 15 01:17:25 PDT 2008

Amit wrote:
> Thank you all for your inputs.
>
> I built x-server with kdrive enabled as Mikhail and Kamalneet suggested.
> I used the Xorg 7.2 release. It did build up successfully but with so
> many extensions enabled [:(] which I'm not sure whether I will be
> using or not.
>
> So, now I'm trying to customize my build configuration and choose
> relevant extensions only i.e extensions which my GTK+ framework will
> depend upon or use.
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. I found two packages on maemo repository namely "Xorg" and "X-server".
> What is the difference between the two? I thought both are same.
>
> Additionally there is "--enable-xorg" configure option available while
> building Xorg-server. What is the usage of that.
>

> 2. Can someone please explain me the usage of:
> --disable-glx, --enable-xgl, --enable-xglx, --enable-xegl

GLX extension adds OpenGL commands to the protocol. So X clients can use
OpenGL.

XGL is an X Server built *on top of* OpenGL. Xegl and Xglx are two
flavors of XGL. To use XGL on desktop, you'll need "--enable-xgl
--enable-xglx".

> My motive is to enable OPEN GL ES backend for EGL on X. Which option
> do I have to use? By default it enables OPENGL backend while I need
> OPENGL ES extension.

What do you want to do?
1.  Enable X clients(applications) to use OpenGL ES + EGL?
or
2.  Make X Server itself use OpenGL ES + EGL for rendering?

I don't know of any open source solution for (2). And it is a
significant development effort.
XGL uses OpenGL(through glitz). Few months back, XGL support was removed
from the xserver master branch.

~kammal