Multi{pointer,touch} & Userspace

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Sat Nov 1 12:07:28 PDT 2008

As far as it goes, yes; but there are other properties of touch sensors
that page does not cover: e.g. pressure, and potentially angles.

Some touch sensors give in you in effect images, with pressure on a per
pixel basis, rather than a simple binary "yes/no" and regions.  One
sensor I've seen literally gives you a grayscale image, and you can
"see" the out of focus hand in lighter shades of gray as it gets further
from the surface.f

Ergo my interest in an extensible event format, into which additional
data can be put (and in which applications that don't understand this
additional data can easily and safely ignore that data).

Otherwise the deployment of additional new sensor types will be limited
by the deployment of software on both sides of the client/server split;
experience shows that this is *very* hard to arrange.  Being able to
deploy client application and the X support required for it
independently (as was done with Xft) is key to a successful deployment
strategy.
                          - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>