EXA and MigrationHeuristic

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu May 29 06:03:25 PDT 2008

Le Jeu 29 mai 2008 14:26, Stephane Marchesin a écrit :
>> Should we
>>  >>  switch to greedy as default ?
>>

>> > It's a bad move. Doing this prevents us from diagnosing issues and
>>  > fixing them, and thus globally slows down the advance of EXA and
>> the
>>  > point at which it becomes usable for everyone.
>>

>> Let me get this straight.  You are deliberately shipping with a slow
>>  default in order to encourage me to fix your driver?
>>

> Let me suggest another phrasing as follows: "you are deliberately
> preventing us from finding and fixing issues in EXA by crippling the
> drivers".

Without this heuristic firefox 3 is so slow on unaccelerated drivers
any normal user will just dump his video card or Linux (page load
times measured in seconds with CPU pegged at 100% and not every user
has multicore hardware). So keeping the current default won't win you
anything except lost users. It's not bad it's catastrophic

--
Nicolas Mailhot