Radeon: random bits of pixmaps with XAA, fixed with EXA

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon May 26 12:15:00 PDT 2008

> Running Debian's xserver-xorg-video-ati version 1:6.8.0-1 on AMD64 on
> a radeon 9600, I'm occasionally seeing random bits of pixmaps in
> Firefox windows.  This is fixed by setting
>
>         Option          "AccelMethod" "EXA"
>
> in my config file.

I also needed to set

        Option          "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

(whatever that means) in order for Firefox to be usable again.

                                        Juliusz

(Off topic rant: Firefox is forcing me to do more work with fine-
 tuning my system than any other piece of software I use.  Since it
 syncs its config directory every fraction of a second, it forced me to
 move my home off NFS, now it forced me to spend some time checking the
 EXA options.  If you know any Firefox developers, please let them know
 that some users are actively looking for alternatives.)