radeon driver: bug

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:50:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Jethro Tull <heavytull at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I updated my system some days ago, i'm now using radeon driver
> Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>         compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 4.3.0
>
> I can switch off the screen backlight by pressing Fn+F4, I usually do that
> when i'm off for some time and don't want to switch of the pc.
> I noticed the computer was completely crashing when just after i switch back
> on the backlight I press again Fn key for some other purpose (for exemple to
> switch on wifi). The computer crashes at the time i press Fn without any
> other key.
> The crash is as follows: the screen become black but with backlight on. I
> cannot do anything, even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't help. So I cannot have a
> backtrace of the bug. I just press the ON/OFF button for some seconds to
> start again the computer.

What is the nature of the fn-f4 key on your laptop?  do you have it
set to generate an acpi event that you have linked to a script?  Also
how do you have it set to control both the video and wifi?  Did you
also update your kernel?  Sounds to me like an acpi issue.  Finally
what radeon chip are you using?

Alex