radeon 9000 (rv250) dvi 1920x1200 troubles

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed May 14 13:21:40 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Andre Puschmann
<andre.puschmann at stud.tu-ilmenau.de> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
>  > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Andre Puschmann
>  > <andre.puschmann at stud.tu-ilmenau.de> wrote:
>  >> Hey guys,
>  >>
>  >>  sorry for waisting this thread again.
>  >>  Unfortunately, I am still having problems with permanently adding the
>  >>  configuration to the Xorg settings.
>  >>
>  >>  I added the modeline to my xorg.conf and also set "PreferredMode" but it
>  >>  doesn't work. I also tried to disable DDC (at the display and at xorg.conf).
>  >>
>  >>  However, I am still getting something like this:
>  >>
>  >>  (**) RADEON(0): Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
>  >>  (WW) RADEON(0): Option "PreferredMode" is not used
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  Any hints?
>  >
>  > You'll have to add the option and modeline to the monitor section
>  > associated with the output in question since your card supports
>  > multiple outputs.  see this page for more info:
>  > http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
>
>  Ah, I see.
>  That works excellent, except the fact that I have to disable the
>  internal output manually using "xrandr --output LVDS --off".
>
>  I am not sure If it is possible switch between two settings.
>  - Laptop standalone with no external monitor
>  - Laptop with external monitor, Laptop display switched off

you can add:
Option "Disable" "TRUE"
to the monitor section for LVDS if you don't want the LVDS to be on by default.
Alternatively, you can set the following option:
Option "IgnoreLidStatus" "FALSE"
which will use the acpi /proc lid status to to decide whether to
enable LVDS or not.  Note, the acpi bioses are broken on many systems
so YMMV.

Alex