How to load a per-user xkbmap?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Fri May 9 04:20:12 PDT 2008

also sprach Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> [2008.05.09.1049 +0100]:
> Do you want Ctrl_R/Menu to shift the base level to three (i.e. such that
> Ctrl_R + 3 -> ³, Ctrl_R + Shift + 3 -> £), or do you want Ctrl_R/Menu to
> very specifically be bound to Mod3?

I want <RALT> to shift the base level. I want Ctrl_R/Menu to
specifically generate mod3.

> If the latter, then yes, what you're doing now.

But it has no effect. None whatsoever.

$ setxkbmap gb
$ xkbcomp :0 xkb.orig
$ xkbcomp - :0 <<_eof
partial default alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "basic" {
  include "pc/gb"

  name[Group1]="Great Britain";

  key <AE03>  { [         3,   numbersign, threesuperior,    sterling ] };
  modifier_map Mod3   { <MENU> };
};
_eof
$ xkbcomp :0 xkb.new
$ diff -q xkb.{orig,new}
$

Yet, the 3 key is unchanged, and the menu key does not generate
mod3.

"fools ignore complexity. pragmatics suffer it.
 some can avoid it. geniuses remove it."
                                                      -- alan perlis

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net