How to load a per-user xkbmap?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri May 9 02:49:30 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:37:54AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> [2008.05.09.0956 +0100]:
> > What are you actually trying to achieve here? RALT in the gb
> > layout is already bound to useful modifiers and such for third
> > level.  Do you just want to change the 3 key to also be able to
> > generate ³?
>
> It was just an example. Let's say I wanted to make the 3 key
> generate
>
>   3, #, ³, <sterling> (plain, shift, mode_switch, mode_switch+shift)
>
> and I wanted right control and the menu key to generate mod3. How
> would you do it, using xkb, not xmodmap?

Do you want Ctrl_R/Menu to shift the base level to three (i.e. such that
Ctrl_R + 3 -> ³, Ctrl_R + Shift + 3 -> £), or do you want Ctrl_R/Menu to
very specifically be bound to Mod3?

If the former, then:
include "level3(rctrl)"
include "level3(menu)"
key <AE03> { [ 3, pound, threesuperior, sterling ] };

If the latter, then yes, what you're doing now.

Cheers,
Daniel