How to get a fair resolution with Xorg + Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue May 6 21:17:45 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Jay Cotton <Jay.Cotton at sun.com> wrote:
> I looked at the log file, and sure enough NVIDIA can't read EDID data. So, a
> few questions:
>    1.  did this monitor work before.

The only thing different in the hardware and software is the video card

> 2.  Are you sure the old NVIDIA card is bad ?

There was a bad capacitor on it, and it stopped switching to higher
resolutions after boot (the point where the Nvidia logo comes

>    3.  Check the cable ends for bent pins or something like that

I will check that... I doubt any of that occurred however

>    4.  Try to use a different monitor and cable just to see if the bug moves

I don't have an extra monitor, will try a different cable... as much
as I dread saying this, it worked on Windows XP without any problems
or requests for drivers (since the previous card was the same model)

( www.pembo13.com )