Traversing X11 clients behind NAT (or X11 end-to-end connectivity)

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sun Mar 23 07:30:38 PDT 2008

> Maybe this would be a kick in the a** of the so called web-based
> applications. Now you have to learn how to program in html, php, ajax or
> another boring language to build something in this kind of environment.
I've used a remote web browser (konqueror) at univeristy from home, 12
ms ping,
it was not really useable. Sure there are leaner apps, but X really
seems to need its
local network. And to compete with those, you'd need more candy than konqui
pushes on the wire. Now think of 60ms+ pings...

Also, fonts were yellowish, probably a byteorder issue.

AFAIK this is now blessed as http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261