Intel G35 with HDMI Video AND audio

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Mar 21 14:52:09 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 15:40 -0600, Chad wrote:

> I plugged in my HDMI cable to the back of my motherboard, and into the
> TV.  I rebooted, watched the BIOS post, watched Grub load, and watched
> the console scroll by while initializing Linux.  Then X started,
> probed my TV, and I got a 1920x1080P signal sent over HDMI to my TV!
> Well done, worked like a champ, and looks beautiful.

Slightly unexpected, but I'm glad it works. Usually, the HDMI input on
the TV reports only 1920x1080i mode lines.

> I don't have any audio.  I do remember someone mentioning this before,
> but I also remember seeing threads since then regarding the issue and
> am not sure what the current situation is.

The video driver has to work with the audio driver to make this happen.
We're going to wait until we get the video modesetting moved into the
kernel before we look at this; otherwise we would probably have to come
up with magic kernel interfaces only to deprecate them shortly
afterwards.

HDMI places the audio data in the various video blanking intervals
instead of using a separate wire (wire appears to be more expensive than
I remember). Because of this, the available bandwidth for audio data
depends on the video mode in use (!), so the video driver has to tell
the audio driver about the current video mode.

But, with your TV reporting a 1080p modeline over that connector, I
don't know how much bandwidth will be available for the audio.

> The same thing, but instead of no audio, whatever audio is available.
> I have a couple of the newer HD audio formats available to pass
> through to my A/V receiver for testing once the Intel HDMI stuff
> "works", but even regular mp3/ogg/$any audio doesn't seem to get
> passed.

Yeah, it shouldn't work at all at this point. Unfortunately, the
SDVO/HDMI documents are not public, so I can't even encourage you to go
try and make this work yourself.

For now, please enjoy the lovely analog audio output on your motherboard
and we'll work to get the HDMI audio going once we've moved modesetting
to the kernel and can integrate that with the audio driver a bit more
easily.

keith.packard at intel.com