965G, ADD2 HDMI, Toshiba TV: blank screen, X is operational

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Mar 21 12:34:59 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 12:19 -0700, Markus Strobl wrote:

> On mine it turned out the EDID the TV supplied was not actually
> supported by the TV (!). Solution was to manually compose a mode line
> in xorg.conf and it has worked fine since.

One thing we've had a lot of luck with here was to replace the
HDMI->HDMI cable with an HDMI->DVI cable, plugging the HDMI end into the
computer and the DVI end into the TV.

The TV will report different modes over HDMI than over DVI as HDMI must
provide space in the video signal to encode the audio data. When hooked
up over DVI, the TV will often report a non-interlaced native-resolution
reduced-blanking mode that the driver can provide without difficulty.

I suspect this is more prevalent with 1080p devices than lower
resolution monitors.

keith.packard at intel.com