965G, ADD2 HDMI, Toshiba TV: blank screen, X is operational

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Fri Mar 21 12:26:31 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 22:11 +0000, Nicolas Will wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> You may remember me from this summer and my initial trial at this
> using
> the 2.1 version of the Intel driver
>
> After a few months using a binary blob, I have upgraded my OS to the
> next version. This new release includes a new Xorg and a new Intel
> driver.
>
> So I am trying to go back to my initial plan of using Open Source
> supported hardware.
>
> A quick review of the systems:
>
>       * Intel DG95WH motherboard
>       * Prolink ADD-7315-DVI-T sDVO/ADD2-N PCI Express x16 card with
>         Composite, S-Video, Components and HDMI outputs - using HDMI
>       * Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" 64-bit
>       * Kernel 2.6.24 from Ubuntu
>       * X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90 - Release Date: 5 September 2007 -
> Build
>         Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server
>         2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu5)
>       * Current Operating System: Linux favia 2.6.24-12-generic #1 SMP
>         Wed Mar 12 22:31:43 UTC 2008 x86_64 - Build Date: 13 March
> 2008
>         05:48:21PM
>       * 2.2.1 Intel driver
>       * TV is 1080p capable (works with an nvidia card using the
> ninary
>         blob)
>       * The TV is connected using HDMI to the computer. Nothing else,
>         like a VGA cable, is used
>
> The rest of the system is described here:
> http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc
>
> I have the following xorg.conf and associated log:
>
> http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/intel/
>
> I hope that the verbose logging is really useful and will not "help"
> by confusing things...
>

> Symptoms: I have some text stuff displayed durung boot and shut-down,
> I have X and the applications started, but I have a black screen.
>

> I am at a loss at the moment, and I a seeking eyeballs on the config
> and the logs, in the hope to be told than I am a moron and missed
> something.
>
> Thanks for your help,

Guys,

This is weird.

With a config that asks the Intel driver to ignore VGA and VGA-2, that
specifies using only TMDS-1, with all the logs saying that in deed this
is what it is doing, if I plug an analog VGA cable to the PC and TV, I
get an image on VGA?

It is 4:3 and all pink/green, but it exists when it should not.

Huh?

Nico