965G, ADD2 HDMI, Toshiba TV: blank screen, X is operational

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Thu Mar 20 15:11:44 PDT 2008

Hi all,

You may remember me from this summer and my initial trial at this using
the 2.1 version of the Intel driver

After a few months using a binary blob, I have upgraded my OS to the
next version. This new release includes a new Xorg and a new Intel
driver.

So I am trying to go back to my initial plan of using Open Source
supported hardware.

A quick review of the systems:

      * Intel DG95WH motherboard
      * Prolink ADD-7315-DVI-T sDVO/ADD2-N PCI Express x16 card with
        Composite, S-Video, Components and HDMI outputs - using HDMI
      * Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy" 64-bit
      * Kernel 2.6.24 from Ubuntu
      * X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90 - Release Date: 5 September 2007 - Build
        Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server
        2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu5)
      * Current Operating System: Linux favia 2.6.24-12-generic #1 SMP
        Wed Mar 12 22:31:43 UTC 2008 x86_64 - Build Date: 13 March 2008
        05:48:21PM
      * 2.2.1 Intel driver
      * TV is 1080p capable (works with an nvidia card using the ninary
        blob)
      * The TV is connected using HDMI to the computer. Nothing else,
        like a VGA cable, is used

The rest of the system is described here:
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc

I have the following xorg.conf and associated log:

http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/intel/

I hope that the verbose logging is really useful and will not "help" by confusing things...

Symptoms: I have some text stuff displayed durung boot and shut-down, I have X and the applications started, but I have a black screen.

I am at a loss at the moment, and I a seeking eyeballs on the config and the logs, in the hope to be told than I am a moron and missed something.

Thanks for your help,

Nico