Mouse Issues with evdev driver

Khelben Blackstaff eye.of.the.8eholder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 09:32:22 PDT 2008

Hello.

I bought a new wireless keyboard-mouse set and have some problems with the
mouse. I searched the archive for similar problems and found a post that
said there were many fixes in the -git and i tried it. Indeed all the major
issues (like the X axis not being recognised etc) are gone and i have only
2 issues now.

Issues:
1) I press and hold left click and drag the mouse to copy some text,
but it behaves as if the left click is released (it seams to me that
way). For example if i try to copy "Some text to copy" it will copy
"to copy" or something like that.
Because i can't describe it well enough i have captured a video of
my desktop so that you can see what i am saying.
http://www.youshare.com/hosting.php?file=out.avi (1.2MB)

This behavior occurs only with evdev and not mouse and gpm
on tty, so it can't be hardware problem.
My former mouse (logitech mx510) worked fine with evdev, so its some
issue with this mouse's protocol and evdev i guess.

2) Two buttons (named Zoom-,Zoom+) don't produce events in xev.

3) Middle and Right click are reversed in -git version of evdev
More a notice than an issue. I fixed it with xmodmap.

It would be nice if you could help me solve them both 1) and 2), but
my main problem is the copy/paste thing.

Info about my system:

evdev git version as it is today.
(commit 87037b9953ebd47e9dbd99b3653050517aa490ff)
xorg-server 1.4.0.90

xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Keyboard1"
    Driver	"evdev"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event11"
    Option "Name"      "MLK MTS2118 Wireless Desktop"
    Option "XkbLayout"	"us,el"
    Option "XkbOptions"	"grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver  "evdev"
    Option "Name"      "MLK MTS2118 Wireless Desktop"
    Option "Device"    "/dev/input/event12"
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection

X.org.0.log:
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard1: always reports core events
(**) Keyboard1: Device: "/dev/input/event11"
(II) Keyboard1: Found keys
(II) Keyboard1: Configuring as keyboard
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse1: always reports core events
(**) Mouse1: Device: "/dev/input/event12"
(II) Mouse1: Found x and y relative axes
(II) Mouse1: Found mouse buttons
(II) Mouse1: Found keys
(II) Mouse1: Configuring as mouse
(II) Mouse1: Configuring as keyboard
(II) evaluating device (Mouse1)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) evaluating device (Keyboard1)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard1" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "base"
(**) Mouse1: xkb_rules: "base"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Mouse1: xkb_model: "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(**) Mouse1: xkb_layout: "us"
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "base"
(**) Keyboard1: xkb_rules: "base"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Keyboard1: xkb_model: "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us,el"
(**) Keyboard1: xkb_layout: "us,el"
(**) Option "xkb_options" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
(**) Keyboard1: xkb_options: "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
(II) Mouse1: Close
(II) Keyboard1: Close

Thank you for your time.