input-evdev patch adding option to override XDevice type Atom, option to force EV_REL events being treated as absolute values.

Wolfgang Draxinger wdraxinger at darkstargames.de
Tue Mar 11 05:28:03 PDT 2008

Am Dienstag, 11. März 2008 schrieb Daniel Stone:

> Umm, why would you have _two_ drivers?

It would still be one: evdev. There'd be just a entry in sysfs (didn't
thought of that in the first place, doesn't need extra IOCTLs, like I
suggested first), which can be perfectly set through UDev.

> The point of evdev is to
> provide an abstraction layer, so if you need to have layering
> violations to provide userspace a way to say 'hey, I think your
> driver needs a fix, please do _this_', then you have two drivers
> (usbhid in the kernel and HAL or whatever in userspace), not one.
>
> Quirk tables are all through the USB code[0], IDE, etc, already, so
> this would be the accepted practice.

I can understand it for single chipsets, or other specific HW. But
USBHID is generic to the bone, and it's device neutral. Having the
quirks table in the kernel would mean, that for every awkward device
you'd have to get the latest kernel, or if it's not in there yet
patch it. It might be a hacker friendly solution, but I'm thinking
here about the average user (admin) here, who just want's to install
his Ubuntu/Fedora/etc. and doesn't want to wait for 2 months until
the distributions finally marked an updated kernel as stable.

With a table in userspace (it could be just a large UDev rules file,
most systems have UDev now anyway) and a interface to the quirks bits
through sysfs this could be done without introducing new tools. And
such a table can be updated online without need to rebooting into an
updated kernel.

And it would also keep the memory footprint small --- okay, say one
page for a quirks table doesn't hurt, but still: why do it if it can
be done from userspace in more flexible and friendly way?

Greetings

--
Wolfgang Draxinger
lead programmer - DARKSTARgames