April distribution release: radeon or radeonhd for r500 / r600 cards?

Daniil Kolpakov dan at riga.lv
Sun Mar 9 03:52:45 PDT 2008

В сообщении от Четверг 06 марта 2008 Adam Williamson написал(a):
> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 11:41 +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:

> > > Except that radeon seems to be more stable.
> >
> > Feel free to give some hard facts here.
>
> Hey now, everyone play nice or I'm going back to fbdev, and no-one wants
> that ;)

My 2 cents of offtopic here :)

I've just installed Mandriva from the latest official Live CD with support for
closed-source drivers 3 weeks ago. The machine had "ATI Technologies Inc
RV515 PRO [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]" display adapter. I'm not really for
non-free drivers, but that LiveCD was just what we happen do download that
day. I must say, I've tried fglrx driver, but it didn't managed to set a
proper video mode for the monitor, so I've tried VESA. That was amazing:
1280x1024 works really fast, with compozing and transparent windows
(all-software). I've never got acceptable results speedwise on my home
computer with 1680x1050 monitor and AGP video card (2 x AMD Opteron 246
CPUs), but the newer computers with PCI-Express video and modern processors
seem to be able to do all work in software without much pain.

By the way, Mandriva is a great distribution! :)

Support open standards! Take a look at this nice presentation:
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/open-standards-security.pdf