xserver-xorg-input-evdev eats my eject key

John Hughes john at Calva.COM
Sat Mar 8 01:36:52 PST 2008

I've got a Sony Vaio TX3 laptop, with some extra buttons, running Debian
Sid, kernel 2.6.24.

The sony-laptop module makes a new input device to represent these extra
buttons.  This is nicely detected by HAL and so evdev:

(**) Sony Vaio Keys: always reports core events
(II) Sony Vaio Keys: Found 1 mouse buttons
(II) Sony Vaio Keys: Configured 35 mouse buttons.
(**) Option "xkb_model" "jp106"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "jp"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Sony Vaio Keys" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Sony Vaio Keys: Registering 35 buttons.
(II) Sony Vaio Keys: Init
(II) Sony Vaio Keys: On

One of which has a "dvd eject" symbol on it.  When pressed the keycode
KEY_FN_E (0x1e1) is produced.

After much debugging I've found that it gets at least as far as
EvdevKeyProcess  in evdev_key.c, but some time after that the key
disappears into a black hole - xev &c don't see it.

Where should I be looking?

$ dpkg -l | grep evdev
ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev   1:1.2.0-1    X.Org X server -- evdev input driver