Current state of the art for networked 3D acceleration?

Seb James seb at esfnet.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 01:39:07 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 15:25 -0500, Dan B. Phung wrote:
> you can get indirect hardware accelerated rendering using AIGLX, just
> get direct rendering enabled on your xserver, ssh with X forwarding, and
> it should just work, though this route is pretty slow/laggy, e.g. can't
> play quake, even over a LAN.  Another system that supports hardware
> accelerated remote display is to use server side hardware accelerated
> rendering where you read back the framebuffer on the server and send JPG
> or video to your client.  VirtualGL supports sending JPGs, and with
> TurboVNC, you have a complete solution where you can access your
> desktop.  Playing quake on virtualgl/turbovnc isn't quite feasible yet
> either.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to get indirect rendering working to test
it. Right now I get no joy using ssh with X forwarding.

Do I need to start the XServer on my thin client with any particular
options? I think it should have built with AIGLX enabled by default (I
built git-head about a week ago).

VirtualGL looks interesting, I'm going to test it out. Does it work ok
with multiple concurrent users I wonder?

Seb