gnome keeps breaking my dual independent display - intel driver

Gilles Dartiguelongue gilles.dartiguelongue at esiee.org
Thu Mar 6 06:07:16 PST 2008

Le mercredi 05 mars 2008 à 21:01 -0600, Dan Naughton a écrit :
> I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.  After a long time,
> I got the dual independent displays running on this computer with the
> dual DVI SDVO card.  Gnome starts fine from the gdm screen and gets
> the two displays going side by side.  Here's the problem
>
> Any application that runs in full screen (mostly games) changes the
> monitors from dual independent to dual simultaneous (cloned) displays.
>  The only was to get it back is to delete the ~/.gconf/desktop
> directory and logout/login again.  Gnome seems to add this preference
> file for the screen setup that overrides the xorg.conf file.   I've
> added some read only ~/.gconf/desktop file to prevent gnome from
> overwriting it, but the fullscreen apps still change the screen setup
> during the session, and you still have to logout/login to get the
> displays working again.

Assuming you are using intel 2.* releases, it uses xrandr-1.2 so you
have some command to reactivate the second monitor. On my setup (ati
with vga & dvi output), it looks like:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto --left-of VGA-0

gnome screen resolution tool doesn't know about xrandr1.2 (yet) so when
you start gnome, it tries to reapply saved setting which screws up your
config. However, it doesn't not ever touch xorg.conf.

Look at this thread for details on how to fix this:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.announce/229/focus=26327

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <gilles.dartiguelongue at esiee.org>