Usb-hid keyboard not working with linux 2.6.24.2 and latest Xorg

Seb James seb at esfnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 07:26:26 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 15:59 +0200, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 07:06:53AM -0600, Pat Kane wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Seb James <seb at esfnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > >  The problem is that I have no keyboard response. The keyboard is a usb
> > >  keyboard - the hardware I am using has no ps/2 socket.
> >
> > Here is an interesting line from your log:
> >
> >    (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
> >
> > in another l.f.o  thread someone said:
>
> This normally causes lack of ability to VT switch, et al.  There was a
> bug up until last night (well, this morning) European time that would
> cause this to _also_ kill your keyboard completely.  It should be fine
> now though, but you really want to install xkeyboard-config to
> $datadir/X11/xkb.

Thanks for the information guys. My problem turned out to be the wrong
files in xkb (I was still using the ones from Xorg 6.8.1), along with
various other boo boos in my installation.

The messages here pointed me straight at the problem, and I now have a
vesa driver with a _working keyboard_!

Cheers,

Seb James