Preventing screensaver when playing movie?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Mar 4 05:03:50 PST 2008

On Tuesday 04 of March 2008, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > One way to push beyong the usual "go away" response is to publish a
> > bug reference other people can comment on.
>
> See this thread for when I raised this issue, and
> the various responses.
>
> <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2007-June/008386.html>
>
> I tested the kde sceensaver recently (Fedora core 8), and it does
> not appear to reliably take any notice of XScreenSaverSuspend(),
> contrary to what Lubos Lunak's had thought.

 Nobody was talking about XScreenSaverSuspend(), the previous discussion was
about XResetScreenSaver(), and that one works with the KDE screensaver
(3.5.9).

> It seemed to work once in a session, and then no longer be effective. Only
> the "dcop" method seemed to be always effective. I guess this may be a bug.

 Agreed. An XScreenSaver bug. At least here XScreenSaverSuspend( dpy, True )
does nothing[*] - the idle counter returned by XScreenSaverQueryInfo() does
not stop increasing, despite what the XScreenSaver manpage says. Which only
supports my point from the thread linked above that this extension is broken.

[*] The whole sequence is:
XScreenSaverQueryExtension( dpy, &dummy, &dummy );
XScreenSaverSuspend( dpy, True );
XSync( dpy, False );
sleep( 120 );
I can't see how I could possibly make any mistake here.

> Someone suggested using the xdg-screensaver tool, but it's not
> available on all systems, and I'm wondering what progromatic mechanism it
> uses

 'case screensaver_type'  ... what would you expect? If other screensavers
need their specific ways, there's no other way how to handle them.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz