Preventing screensaver when playing movie?

Tomasz Torcz zdzichu at irc.pl
Tue Mar 4 00:10:59 PST 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 04:24:35PM +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > One way to push beyong the usual "go away" response is to publish a
> > bug reference other people can comment on.
>
> See this thread for when I raised this issue, and
> the various responses.
>
> <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2007-June/008386.html>
>
> I tested the kde sceensaver recently (Fedora core 8), and it does
> not appear to reliably take any notice of XScreenSaverSuspend(),
> contrary to what Lubos Lunak's had thought. It seemed to
> work once in a session, and then no longer be effective. Only
> the "dcop" method seemed to be always effective. I guess
> this may be a bug.
>
> So in my testing I've observed the following:
>
> 	xscreensaver:
> 		Needs exec("xscreensaver-command -deactivate") periodically.
>
> 	gnome-screensaver:
> 		Needs "dbus-send --dest=org.gnome.ScreenSaver --type=method_call
> 		       /org/gnome/ScreenSaver org.gnome.ScreenSaver.SimulateUserActivity"
>                         periodically.

  Better way is 'dbus-send --session --print-reply
--dest=org.gnome.ScreenSaver /org/gnome/ScreenSaver
org.gnome.ScreenSaver.Inhibit string:"" string:"Cause of inhibit"'

  Returned Int32 is a cookie needed to UnInhibit.

--
Tomasz Torcz                 "God, root, what's the difference?"
zdzichu at irc.-nie.spam-.pl         "God is more forgiving."