GSoC CM collaboration

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Mon Mar 3 17:44:45 PST 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Lun 3 mars 2008 18:01, Olivier Galibert a écrit :

>>Where "the application" can mean in large part "the graphics toolkit",
>>as in gtk, qt or even cairo.  So it's not necessarily that numerous.
>
> That would mean configuration hell. Please don't go there. Most users
> will want every GUI app colour-managed if possible, so I don't see any
> win is pushing this in the toolkits now. This is a receipe for a
> painful convergence process later on.

Sounds like the status quo of ignoring it all and putting it
off forever. You can't "fix" color without there being impact
on GUI apps and toolkits. You can transparently provide
fallbacks for color unaware applications and toolkits,
but to actually make it work as intended changes to all
toolkits are necessary, to add color management awareness.
They simply aren't useful in a color managed environment
otherwise.

(The analogy is the switch from monochrome displays to
  color. Yes, you can make all your monochrome applications
  and toolkits still work in a color environment, but having
  color simply isn't useful without the applications and
  toolkits having the facility to use it.)

Graeme Gill.