GSoC CM collaboration

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Mar 3 09:28:48 PST 2008

Am 03.03.08, 18:01 +0100 schrieb Olivier Galibert:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 05:49:20PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > IMO it boils down, whether it makes sense to keep the CMS impact on the
> > application side minimal, or accept that a application has to call a CMS
> > in order to do any colour management.
>
> Where "the application" can mean in large part "the graphics toolkit",

This is a simplification. The application is the place where a developer
decides, which toolkit widgets to show the user. The toolkit is not able
to do so.

> as in gtk, qt or even cairo.  So it's not necessarily that numerous.

This is a call to soften a concept. We talk here about where to create the
colour transformation.
I am not against placing this code in the toolkit in the first place. But
it seems more appealing to have the stuff in one place. This would be
where colour conversion happens - in the last pice of the colour chain.
My take is toolkits should be CM aware and let it passing through.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management