Resolution indpendence

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jun 30 15:10:10 PDT 2008

James Cloos wrote:

> We should tell the apps our real dpi, but also our preferred font size.
>
> On harware like a moko you may want to use a 5 or 6 pt font.  On three
> metre projection screen you might choose a 72+ pt font.

And what happens when you log into a single account from multiple X
terminals?

This is where choices like "always use 8pt" or "always use 12px" fail.

What I need is more like "at least 8pt AND at least 12px", and have it
pick the smallest hand-tuned bitmap which satisfies both constraints.

But some applications may be further constraints, e.g. I may need to
be able to display 2 windows side by side, with 80 columns of text in
each, even if I have to lean forward a bit when reading it.