How to build xorg-server 1.5?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 15:15:18 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Mohan Parthasarathy <suruti94 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> You shouldn't need to pass --x-includes at all. Does configure fail if
>> you don't pass those options? Does it pick up the correct xdamage?
>
> I tried all possible combinations and here is my conclusion
>
> 1) configure needs PKG_CONFIG_PATH to be set. Otherwise it can't find some
> of the libraries
> 2) As you say, no other options to configure are needed. But the compilation
> fails for me when it
>    comes to xdemos. Though LibGL.so refers to libXdamage, the linker picks
> it up from /usr/lib.
>    If i set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in addition, then it works fine.

Ah, now I see. Yeah, this is one of the nice things that libtool does
for you that we don't get with Mesa's custom build. We're not linking
the app directly to libXdamage, but instead it's being picked up by
the linker as being needed by libGL. Since we don't tell the linker
anything special about how to find libXdamage, it searches in the
system default libraries and finds /usr/lib/libXdamage.

If you're using GCC and GNU ld, you can build with
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,$yourdir/lib" if you're not installing to the
system default locations. You can pass that as an argument to Mesa's
configure. This is something that libtool does for you, but it's a ton
of logic to duplicate. Maybe someday.

--
Dan