[xinput] coordinate system of root_x/y

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jul 28 06:17:36 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 12:43:58PM -0400, Thomas Jaeger wrote:
> Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.  The the xserver package that comes with
> ubuntu hardy (they call it 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9.2, fwiw)
> contains a backport of the scaling bug fix, but root_x/y are reported in
> screen coordinates.

do you know what value previous servers reported? In the end that's what 1.4.1
and 1.5 should report too.

> Anyway, the master behavior is definitely the right one since it seems
> very difficult to reliably transform device coordinates into screen
> coordinates.  My issue here is that the wacom driver doesn't generate
> ChangeDeviceNotify or DevicePresence events when the device is rotated
> (btw, which would be the right one?), so it's hard to detect a change in
> the valuators' min_value/max_value.

The device should generate DevicePresenceNotifies if it is rotated through the
ChangeDeviceControl request. The event generation is part of the DIX, so the
driver shouldn't get around that.  If it is rotated through other means we may
have to patch the server.

Cheers,
  Peter