enabling Composite

Edwin Smulders edwin.smulders at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 16:11:09 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk at voicenet.com> wrote:

> Are you using xinerama?  If so, don't.  If it's a single video card
> with multiple outputs, use twinview instead.
>
> Adam
>
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:47:09 +0200
> "Edwin Smulders" <edwin.smulders at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at arcor.de>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Maybe a dumb question, but did you test if works even if xdpyinfo
>> > doesn't mention Composite?  (KDE 4 compositing or Compiz).

>> Yes, this is the compiz-start output:
>>
>> dutchy at vampire ~ $ compiz-start
>> NVIDA detected
>> Using GTK decorator
>> Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Human": Failed to find a
>> valid file for theme Human
>>
>> The program 'gtk-window-decorator' received an X Window System error.
>> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
>> The error was 'RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)'.
>>   (Details: serial 208 error_code 178 request_code 156 minor_code 8)
>>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported
>> asynchronously; that is, you will receive the error a while after
>> causing it. To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
>> function.) compiz (core) - Fatal: No composite extension
>>

> --
> believed to be clean.

Yes I am. I was adviced to use this by a wine developer, at first I
was using Twinview but this did not report my resolutions correctly. I
will look in to changing back Twinview tomorrow.

I'm curious though, how could you see that I'm using it?
Also, did you mean this as something which might fix my problem, or
just general advice?