Mesa: texture_from_pixmap outputs white patch

Ritesh Sood riteshsood at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 00:44:27 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:18 AM, James Purdy <storgeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ritesh,
>
> I'm currently using a similar setup, I have a RV370 PCI-E and 9250 PCI
> pushing 4 monitors (2x 19" 16:9 and 2x 19" 4:3).  I have attached a copy of
> my xorg.conf for you to dissect.  Hopefully it helps.
>
> Caveats:
> 1) xdm, kdm, gdm - all will only use the RV370 (display :0.0) and the 9250
> will stay dark until XFCE launches
> 2) With my xorg.conf when xfce fires up the cards are both in clone mode
> and I have a shellscript that calls xrandr (also attached) to spread the
> desktops across the monitors
> 3) I have the Virtual statements in the Display subsections of each Screen
> section that are the combined horizontal resolution for each pair of
> monitors.
> 4) I cannot move windows from one card to the other, it's as though each
> card's pair of monitors are their own independent desktop.  Moving windows
> from one monitor to the other, provided that they are on the same card
> works.
>
> I think that's all the warnings about this setup that I have.  I find it
> usable.  I would bet that others will be able to provide updates to this
> configuration to make it better.  For example including Xinerama, which I
> don't use.
>
> Also, KDE4 fails miserably with this configuration.  KDE3 and xfce work
> well enough.
>
> James

Hi James,
                 thanks for your  suggestions above. The RV670 that I have
is a very  different beast from your RV370 and Radeon 9250 (that would would
be R200 I think). As such, I guess i'll just have to wait out until
radeonhd/radeon drivers provide good support for it.

4) I cannot move windows from one card to the other, it's as though each
card's pair of monitors are their own independent desktop.  Moving windows
from one monitor to the other, provided that they are on the same card
works.

That's because you have two different "screens" and that's the expected
behavior in principle (at least what you see as the rule-book says).
Xinerama is meant to overcome this limitation, but then you would not have
DRI. From what have gathered over a period of time, Xinerama will be phased
out in favor of XRandr, and you should be able to have a single desktop
spanning all four monitors.

I have attached a stipped down version of my own xorg.conf. Notice the
following options in the  device section:
 Option      "Monitor-DVI-0" "Monitor 0"
 Option      "Monitor-VGA-0" "Monitor 1"
which I believe get passed on to randr and I don't have to run xrandr
explicitly, as you are doing.

The general syntax is
 Option      "Monitor-<output>" "monitor_ID"
You can find the output(s) for your card by  running: xrandr  -q.

Hope that helps,
Ritesh