video switching (centrino 2)

Albert Vilella avilella at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 03:19:41 PDT 2008

My Sony Vaio (SZ1XP, 2 years old) already has a dual graphics card option,
one with the "SPEED" option (nvidia)
and the other with the integrated Intel graphics chip. When using Windows
XP, one can switch to the other
configuration, and a window will pop up saying something like:
"you have chosen the STAMINA mode, please reboot".
I am not sure how Linux would be able to detect that, but it's not happening
right now. Keith?
I guess what the new Intel Centrinos will do is enable this as a hot switch,
without requiring reboot.