video switching (centrino 2)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jul 14 23:13:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:31 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:

> Switchable graphics sounds like a great idea for improving laptop
> battery performance.  Does Xorg already support it, selecting between
> the intel and ati video drivers, say?  Or have plans to implement it
> already been drawn up?

Most of the work here is software, and while we'd love to do this under
Linux, we haven't gotten there yet.

Ideally, we'd have hot-plug video card support and could add/remove them
on the fly. Making that work in the existing X server is a pile of new
code. Making that work with direct-rendered 3D seems like a much bigger
challenge...

keith.packard at intel.com