cursor handling and updates inside DRM

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Fri Jul 11 12:16:06 PDT 2008

Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> [0] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=17545
>     This doc says that it improves the heavy-load behavior, but I'm
> failing to see it. Can you be more specific?
Sure.
The old code would assume mouse delta = speed. Of course, this
assumption is valid only as long as mouse updates are equally spaced in
time.
Under heavy load, the devices (or the kernel/whoever) would accumulate
the delta. The old accel then uses that to accelerate. With polynomial
accel or high accel factors, this leads to greatly exaggerated cursor
movement. It drove me nuts so I decided to do something about it.

The new code doesn't fall for that. Admittedly there is still cursor
jumping, but at least it jumps where you'd expect it to be.

I'll try explaining that better in the docs.

-Simon