can't read some doc files

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Jul 8 11:13:43 PDT 2008

>>>>> "Chuck" == Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> writes:

Chuck> The postscript files that seem to have been generated from .mif
Chuck> files, don't seem to be readable by any of my unix postscript
Chuck> tools.

What versions?  I just tested, from your list, lbx.PS.gz in ghostscript
8.62 w/o any problems.  (Direcly and via gv(1).)

GS 8.62's pd2pdf created PDFs from those PS files which work well in
both xpdf-3.02 and xpdf/poppler.  And ghostscript, of course.

The files do not include fonts, as they use the standard PS fonts Times,
Courier and Symbol, so if you are not using ghostscript as a backend
you'll need fontconfig configured to alias those font names to something
metric-compatable you have installed.  (The URW ghostscript fonts and
RH's Liberation family will work.)

As for the question you actually asked, MIF is a well-documented text
format, and several conversion and import filters exist.

Googling for mif2xml shows some useful leads.

Mif2Lyx (http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~pablo/mif2lyx/) also looks promising.

And there may be some interesting stuff at

http://ftp.irisa.fr/pub/FrameMaker/
ftp://ftp.irisa.fr/pub/FrameMaker/

-JimC