Further notes on 7.4

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 06:30:49 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Rémi Cardona <remi at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson a écrit :
>> I remembered a good reason why these should still be installed. Tons
>> of autotooled X programs (certainly in GNOME) use the autoconf macros
>> AC_PATH_X or AC_PATH_XTRA to find the X installation.
>
> Having looked at a good number of Gnome packages' configure.ac scripts,
> I don't recall seeing any of those macros being called for a long time.

http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/metacity/trunk/configure.in?view=markup
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-control-center/trunk/configure.in?view=markup
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-keyring-manager/trunk/configure.ac?view=markup
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-mag/trunk/configure.in?view=markup
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-screensaver/trunk/configure.ac?view=markup

That was just from a brief browsing. I was pleasantly surprised to
find that many of the packages I looked at were only using
AC_PATH_XTRA after checking pkg-config first. I would say you haven't
been looking at GNOME configure.ac scripts very closely because
AC_PATH_XTRA is in nearly every single one. It has to be, after all,
since Xorg isn't the only X implementation, but it is the only one
that uses pkg-config.

--
Dan