Further notes on 7.4

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Wed Jul 2 00:31:21 PDT 2008

Dan Nicholson a écrit :
> I remembered a good reason why these should still be installed. Tons
> of autotooled X programs (certainly in GNOME) use the autoconf macros
> AC_PATH_X or AC_PATH_XTRA to find the X installation.

Having looked at a good number of Gnome packages' configure.ac scripts,
I don't recall seeing any of those macros being called for a long time.

In fact, I think it'd be good favor for everyone not to include these in
the base X distribution. Those apps that break can either fix their
configure code or install the correct package.

It's not like asking to migrate all current Xlib-using code to XCB...

Cheers

--
Rémi Cardona
LRI, INRIA