Adventures in evdev-land

Christoph Brill egore at gmx.de
Fri Jan 25 10:38:34 PST 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 23.01.2008, 23:29 +0100 schrieb Tassilo Horn:
> Christoph Brill <egore at gmx.de> writes:
>
> In my ~/.xinitrc I have this to set my keyboard layout (German Dvorak)
> and make CapsLock another Control.
>
> ,----[ ~/.xinitrc ]
> | setxkbmap -layout de -variant dvorak -model evdev \
> |           -rules xorg -option ctrl:nocaps
> `----
>
> Instead of that you can let your DE (KDE/Gnome) set the keyboard layout
> for you.  Be sure to set evdev as keyboard model.

It works when I set it in gnome. But thats not a good solution, since I
want it to be set globally. There must be an option to do that using
hal. Otherwise the "benefit" of using hal with evdev would be that all
would have to use "us" keyboard layout.

Attached is my attempt on a working fdi file. According to strace on
hald --daemonize=no the file is read. But lshal shows me that the layout
is "us".

Suggestion welcome.