Adventures in evdev-land

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Wed Jan 23 14:29:05 PST 2008

Christoph Brill <egore at gmx.de> writes:

Hi Christoph,

> my favourite distribution added xf86-input-evdev 1.2 to the
> packages.

Oh, mine too. :-)

> 7.) Ask for help on xorg-devel because some must know if a guide to
> successfull evdev with X exists.

I use evdev for keyboard and mouse, and it works like a charm.  Here are
the relevant settings in my xorg.conf:

,----[ xorg.conf ]
| Section "InputDevice"
|   Identifier  "Keyboard"
|   Driver      "evdev"
| EndSection
|
| Section "InputDevice"
|   Identifier    "touchpad"
|   Driver        "synaptics"
|   Option        "Protocol"        "auto-dev"
|   Option        "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
|   Option        "SHMConfig"       "on"
| EndSection
|
| Section "InputDevice"
|   Identifier  "mouse"
|   Driver      "evdev"
|   Option      "Device"          "/dev/input/mice"
|   Option      "Protocol"        "ExplorerPS/2"
|   Option      "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
|   Option      "Buttons"         "12"
|   Option      "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
| EndSection
`----

In my ~/.xinitrc I have this to set my keyboard layout (German Dvorak)
and make CapsLock another Control.

,----[ ~/.xinitrc ]
| setxkbmap -layout de -variant dvorak -model evdev \
|           -rules xorg -option ctrl:nocaps
`----

Instead of that you can let your DE (KDE/Gnome) set the keyboard layout
for you.  Be sure to set evdev as keyboard model.

Have fun,
Tassilo
--
No person,  no idea, and no  religion deserves to be  illegal to insult,
not even the Church of Emacs. (Richard M. Stallman)