stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Thu Jan 24 05:33:46 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 08 14:26:22 +0100, Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> Yeah, I've been thinking about that issue too, and I was wondering if
> it would make sense to ship full drivers (i.e. DRM+DDX+DRI) together
> instead of having to ensure 3-way compatibility between those modules.
> The binary drivers do it, and no one complains to them (well not for

That... isn't exactly true :-P
That every new release of these drivers also need kernel driver updates
isn't exactly helpful, from a distributor's point of view. Just nobody
complained, because it's perfectly clear that bitching won't help here ;)

That said, I find your approach actually reasonable - most times you
have to package all 3 of them anyway, because they aren't completely
backwards/forward compatible.

CU

Matthias

--